Buckle your seatbelts, for this is the time of year when chaos erupts. The Christmas music and decorations fill the space, and Thanksgiving is upon us. Family comes from near and far, meals are prepared and life just speeds up. This time of the year, we begin to look at gift lists and reflect on all we are thankful for.
I am taking a writing course and have been challenged to think of topics in a new way. This season, I take a different approach and think differently about gratitude. Ok, bear with me on this one.
I think of what I do for myself to calm me, bring me into the moment and give me the simplest joy.
Oprah has a favorite things list so why shouldn’t we all?
This year I say, let’s take a step back and think of the little things (preferably non-material) which give us a boost each day (or from time to time) we may not even think about. Just for us.
What are our favorite things?
Here are my top 12
1. Curling up in a chair and reading a book I love and one I don’t want to put down.
2. My daily walk while listening to my favorite music
3. Binge watching my favorite Netflix/Amazon show or any chick flick
4. Sitting by a crackling fire
5. Taking a bath
6. Walking at night in the snow
7. Enjoying a glass of wine at the end of the day
8. Swimming in a lake
9. Taking a Barre class
10. Stopping by my favorite bakery and buying a really good cupcake
11.. Skiing down a freshly groomed ski slope on a warm sunny day
12. Talking to my dog
Sometimes our gifts are the simplest things in life. When all else may be stripped down these are the things we can hold onto and I know for which I am grateful.
A happy holiday season to all! If you like this post and don’t want to miss new ones, sign up to follow this blog. And of course, feel free to share with others!